My name is Don Marshall. I minister to the Brick Christian Church in Watauga Tennessee. After pastoring churches for over 50 years, I have learned some things I'd like to pass on. Enjoy!!

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

STROLLING THROUGH GOD’S WORD Genesis 1:2 Day two.
You remember how the Bible begins in Genesis 1:1…”In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” The New Century Version has verse two quoted as “The earth was empty and had no form. Darkness covered the ocean, and God’ Spirit was moving over the water.” Not a very pretty earth… empty and without form, the oceans dark. Yesterday I told you of my love for mountains. Today please know I love the ocean almost as much. But a dark ocean pictures storms and fearful things. I’m too much of a chicken to enjoy that scene. Thankfully God didn’t leave the world empty, formless and the ocean dark. He added shape (my mountains) and beautiful things like trees and flowers and life. Sometimes He makes the ocean blue, sometimes green, and even a host of other colors. Sunrises and sunsets over the water are such a beautiful array of color as to defy description.
Here’s our question for today. What are we doing with God’s wonderful creation? Some think we are on our way to making it a lifeless, dark mass again. I guess that’s possible if we abuse the environment or blow everything up. But God’s intent is that we be stewards of the earth and pass to those who follow us a safe and beautiful world. There is however another darkness that has come over this world. The darkness of sin. God gave us a perfect world and our sin marred it in every possible way. The garden Paradise of Eden is grown over with weeds and is gone. Walgreen’s commercial says since we no longer live in “Perfect” we can come to the nearest Walgreen 24 hours a day. I wish it were that easy. Sin ruined our perfect world and it cost God His Son and Jesus had to endure unbelievable suffering to get us back to a perfect relationship with Him.
Again I remind you God created this world and everything in it out of nothing. I don’t know what to think when I read that God’s Spirit moved over the waters. I don’t think very well in the spirit world. I know I have a human spirit in me and as a Christian I am also the host to God’s Holy Spirit. I also realize that the eternal part of me is spirit. This body I live in will die, but the real me, my spirit will live on forever. I don’t need to know much more about my spirit than to know that the choices I make in my life on earth will determine what happens to my spirit. It will live forever with the Lord or with the enemy of our souls, Satan.
So, in this our second day strolling through God’s Word, what’s happening with your spirit. Is it heaven bound, or…? We are walking slowly, without any need for haste as we read together. But on the issue of where your spirit is headed, you need to answer that one in a hurry. My journey will arrive in heaven, how about yours?
Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, Help us to see that we all must go to heaven. In Jesus’ Name, Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home